Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It's Blueberry and Green bean time!



In spite of a summer head cold UGH! I got me some blueberries today! 8 lbs. of these beautiful blue berries. I will freeze most of them for later to use in smoothies, muffins, pancakes , ect. and save a few for fresh eating as well. Yummmm! These little berries are so good for you and loaded with antioxidants. To freeze the blueberries I lay them all out and pick out the overripe and ones not quite ripe. I then freeze in containers unwashed. I wash them before I use them. They remain a favorite for hubby and I. Today I also canned 7 pints of Dilly pickled Green Beans*. My green beans are really producing. I will be canning green beans but, not as much this year as, I still have 30 quarts left from last year and it is just the hubby and I. These Dilly pickled green beans* are supposed to be awesome so I thought I would give it a try.






* Dilly pickled Green Beans




4 lbs of Green Beans (approx)


1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (per jar)


1/2 tsp mustard seed (per jar)


1/2 dill seed ( per jar)


1 garlic clove ( per jar)


5 cups vinegar


5 cups water


1/2 cup salt




Clean your green beans & cut them to fit in your 1 pint canning jars.


Put pepper flakes, mustard seeds, dill seed, & garlic clove into the bottom of each jar.


Pack raw beans into jar. Make these as tight as you can, they will shrink when they cook.


Boil together the vinegar, water, and salt This is your brine.


Pour enough brine over the beans in each jar to cover completely while still leaving 1/4 inch head space. ( that's the empty space between the top of the food and the rim of the jar)


Wipe rim clean, then add lid and tighten. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.


Wait a minimum of 6-8 weeks before eating. They need to "marinate"




No comments:

Post a Comment