Saturday, March 7, 2009

Gardening

  • Spring must be here. My iris's are coming up. I am thinking of my garden. I love gardening. There is just something about playing in the dirt. My theme this year is simplicity. I hope this is enough to keep it interesting and not so much that it is overwhelming. Space is limited so I will plant the veggies I use the most and love. This year I will plant
  • green beans
  • cucumbers
  • potatoes ( for new red potatoes)
  • green onions
  • radishes
  • leaf lettuce
  • tomatoes
  • zucchini
  • turnips
  • yellow crookneck summer squash

In the past, I have always sent away for my seeds however, this year I will be buying all my seeds, onion sets, plants and seed potatoes at Rural King. I love that store! Do you have an accumulation of wood ashes from your fireplace or wood stove? They can be used in the garden as a soil additive. My husband was burning wood, leaves and such yesterday in our garden. I went B 5th!!! But, I now know, that wood ash has nutritional value and the ability to help neutralize acid soils, so, rather than throwing those ashes away, put them to work for you by adding them to your soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment