Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cutting back or ditching those paper towels

I used to buy, use and throw out paper towels like there was no tomorrow. I decided after the first of this year, I was going to switch over to more green living and cleaning. The change has been rather easy for my husband and I. We still have purchased paper towels but, a roll will last us 1 1/2 - 2 months now unlike every week -2 weeks before. This change has cut down on the grocery bill considerably. How do you do it you ask? It's simple, use cloth rags that are tossed out after one use, I use holey socks, t- shirts etc. that are in poor shape and unlikely to find a new home. So I cut them into rags. I use these rags to clean the bathroom and they are tossed out when I am finished, although not ideal, this is still more Eco friendly. We also use inexpensive cheapy dishrags and washcloths for wiping up most kitchen messes like cleaning the counter top and wiping down the table. These can be washed and reused. If you have a husband like mine who would rather reach for a paper towel to blow his nose with, because I'm told they are bigger and stronger than Kleenex. Consider buying the hubby handkerchiefs. They also can be washed and reused. My husband uses and loves them. If you prefer a more attractive replacement for paper towels check out http://www.hyenacart.com or http://www.etsy.com they both have links that sells all kinds of paper replacement products. Switching to cloth instead of paper towels doesn't have to be an all or nothing decision. I still keep a roll tucked away in the cupboard for those really messy messes like raw chicken juice or whatever. What about you? Are you a paper towel addict?

No comments:

Post a Comment