Friday, January 28, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

Every year I try, I really do. I try to make wonderful and inspirational New Years Resolutions and most years, they trickle by the wayside in just a few short months. I either can't stick to my guns or I find I never really wanted to in the first place. I was sure this was year I would stick to my resolution because I even got a head start on it way back last year. Yep, I thought it would go smoothly because I have already succeeded by losing a few lbs, eating healthier, exercising by walking when ever I can, just being more active in general. But, I had a game plan and I had already been working on it....so this was a piece of cake. I had it nailed. I pledged to myself that 2011 was the year. I have entered the year sure of myself. Sure until, lets see, what's today's date? Yep, it's true. I have already managed to find a slew of excuses and reasons why I haven't managed to make my regularly scheduled workout times. I am so steamed at myself! Seriously? Okay, so I still have time to recover and go on to keep this resolution, but already my heart feels like it's failed and why bother..
Yesterday something occurred to me. I have been trying to do this all on my own. I have been deciding what I was going to do, how I was going to change myself, and going about it in my own human power.
Don't we all do that in some form or another? Maybe it's not a new years resolution and workout for you, but haven't you ever tried to do something that feels big under your own power?
To make it work, and have a sticking power, there is only one driven force that has the ability to change anything of value. And that force is God. I know, I know, sounds a little preachy when I say it out loud. But hear me out....
Only God has the power and strength to take something tired, worn, dirty and old and change it into a whole new clean, whole, and life filled beginning. It doesn't matter what it is- name anything- and God can bring new life into it. Be it your finances, your job, a relationship, or even plain ole you! He can make all things new. He can strengthen, renew and grow us. But there is something important in having this happen...we have to want it, and then ask for it. He has to be invited into the changes we desire, into the new beginnings we crave, into relationships we hold dear. Like anyone of us, He won't jump in where He's not wanted. But, He'd jump at the chance to be part of your life if you asked! It's what he desires most.
I know if I truly want to become a more healthy person this coming year, I won't resist the temptations that lead to failure without the sustaining strength that God at my side will bring. So I've invited Him into my New Years Resolution. I know that He will motivate me and help make 2011 amazing!!!
<>

No comments:

Post a Comment