Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cooking from scratch

Who has time to cook anymore? Well, unfortunately this is the reality in many homes. Many of us have abandoned our kitchens for faster food which means that we are not choosing healthy whole foods anymore. This is sad. Have you ever noticed unfortunately people are brainwashed by the media into thinking that they don't have time to cook, and they don't have time to eat together? This is really sad Cooking from scratch doesn't have to be complicated, and it certainly will result in a healthier diet. People have different opinions on what exactly "from scratch" means. Well, scratch for me means getting your hands a little dirty, spending some time over the stove and at the cutting board and using whole ingredients to start. From now on, I am hoping to prepare healthy nutritious meals using only basic ingredients. My overall plan is to reduce my dependence on buying the food we eat hence, saving money and preparing healthier meals. Remember convenience comes with a price! Growing up my mother used to make her own butter, maple syrup, spaghetti sauce ect. and even her own soap. She did this all from scratch. She always had a large garden and grew all her own vegetables and canned and froze what we didn't eat fresh. We had our own milk fresh from the cow and raised our own beef, pork chicken and eggs. This was a benefit from having a father who was a farmer. With six children in the family, and one income, my parents had to make the most of their food dollar. My mother would not have dreamed making boxed macaroni and cheese for the family. Many prepared foods, whether from the drive thru or a microwave safe package, contain a myriad of unhealthy ingredients. Don't let cooking from scratch intimidate you. Once you start you will be glad you did. My thought is, why should I pay strangers to gather, cook, assemble my package meals when I can do it myself for pennies on the dollar, with a much lower fat content and a higher vitamin content.
<>

No comments:

Post a Comment