Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Noodle Adventure

As I promised, I want to share with you my noodle adventure. In my effort to eat more whole foods, eating healthier and saving dollars on our grocery bill. I decided to try my hand at making noodles. This noodle making thing was a whole new challenge for me. Making noodles isn't really hard. DH and I love homemade noodles but, I never considered making them because I thought....well..just that...Hard! We always bought our noodles at the store and if we wanted homemade we would buy from the local Amish. There are many recipes out there but, this is the recipe I used. This simple recipe requires only flour, eggs,salt, baking powder, and water. How simple is that? To start I took 4 beaten eggs with 2-3 Tbls. water. In another bowl I took 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. baking powder; mix together......I then made a well in center of flour mixture and poured my beaten eggs into the well....
I stirred in the flour mixture by hand until a soft dough formed. Does it look a bit on the dry side? Yup, looks like it to me.

I continue to roll out the dough into a very thin layer on a lightly floured surface and I cut into 1/2 inch strips.



After cutting in strips, the noodles need to dry at least 4 hours before using. I hung my noodles over chairs on a towel. I was told that if you do not use right away, you should put them in the freezer until you are ready to use them ( I did this) as they will mold otherwise.
So there you have it...My noodle adventure! I suppose I am just being critical of myself but, these noodles just don't look pretty. The Amish noodles we buy don't look like this.This won't stop me from making them again because there is no rule that says they have to look perfect or pretty to taste good!

<>

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of putting baking powder in noodles. Did they taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They didn't taste so bad. I still would like to try your recipe though...less eggs

    ReplyDelete