Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Freezer Slaw

What do you do when you acquire 3 very large bags of chopped cabbage? You make freezer slaw of course! My nephew works at a fast food place and at the end of the night if there is food left, the employees get the option of taking it home or the restaurant just throws the food away. The same principle applies to food that is about to expire or expired,. The employees can take if wanted or the food goes in the dumpster. Gasp! There is nothing wrong with the food and is perfectly good even if beyond a day or two. So here we were sitting with 3 very large bags of chopped cabbage and 1 very large bag of shredded lettuce. Since this is perfectly good food yet but, needs to be used soon, I have to make something with it quick. I had already made slaw for our supper Monday so, unless I want to eat cabbage morning noon and night and have the cleanest colon in the neighborhood. I will have to freeze all this cabbage. *Freezer slaw makes perfect since. I have this wonderful recipe I have had for years. It is easy and very delicious. Keep in mind, I used 1/2 of a large bag of chopped cabbage to equal a large head of cabbage. The recipe doesn't call for onions but you can add red onions.

*FREEZER SLAW
1 cabbage
1 carrot
1 sweet pepper (I used frozen green pepper)
1 tsp. salt
1 cup vinegar
2 cups sugar ( I only use 1 1/2 cup at the most)
1/2 water
1tsp mustard seed
Chop cabbage, carrot, and pepper. Cover with salt and let set for 1 hour. Squeeze the salt and water out of cabbage. Mix vinegar, sugar, water and mustard seed in 2 qt. pot. Bring to boil and boil 3 minutes, let cool. Pour over cabbage, stir well, let stand 3 minutes. Freeze

I froze 10 quarts of slaw. This will be good eating this winter and beyond to go with all the bluegill we have in our freezer.

1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law makes this all the time! I had never heard of it until I married my hubby :)

    Hi! I am your newest follower, Cris from GOODEness Gracious I found you through blogger as a fellow Hoosier :)

    ReplyDelete