Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Those nasty gnats!

Gnats! Gnats! Gnats! During the growing season, it seems anytime you bring fresh produce in the house you bring in a few gnats with it. They are around you, fly around at you're head and simply drive you to an exasperated state. Last Saturday I bought some asian pears. I brought them home and put them in a bowl on top of my kitchen counter along with some other apples. I also had two bananas sitting there also. Before I knew it, I had gnats or fruit flies what ever you want to call them everywhere. Yep! They drove me to an exasperated state alright. In the kitchen near food is the last place I want to spray pesticides. So I thought I would give this method a whirl. All my fruit on the counter went in the fridge. I then took a small canning jar( any small jar will do) In the jar I put 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 3 drops of dawn dish soap, I then covered the top with plastic wrap, using a rubber band to secure it. With a toothpick I poked holes in the plastic wrap. Trust me, the pesky little boogers think it's food and dive into the jar. They can't get back out and drown. Within 24 hours my gnat problem is solved. It works! If you are bothered by gnats or fruit flies this time of year. I urge you to try this method. Cheap, safe, non toxic and best of all goodbye gnats!

No comments:

Post a Comment