Friday, May 8, 2009

Homemade Hummingbird Food

Yes, It's that time of year again. Today I dug out our hummingbird feeders. Tomorrow I will hang them outside and fill them with nectar. If you are like us, we have a few hummingbird feeders around the yard. I just love watching these tiny birds. They always amaze me. Now, you can buy the hummingbird nectar but, this gets costly and there is not much in the pkgs. I label a pitcher to keep in the refrigerator with "homemade hummingbird food" This is so much cheaper. All you do is bring 4 cups water to a boil and stir in 1 cup sugar, stir to dissolve, when cool, pour into the pitcher and refrigerate until needed. As I refill the feeders, I make another batch for the next time. Do not add food coloring. I understand it is not good for the little hummingbirds. Feeding hummingbirds is an easy, inexpensive and rewarding pastime. All you need is a feeder table sugar, some water and you are set. Oh yes, remember, it is important to keep the feeder clean and the nectar fresh. Sugar water is very rich growth medium. Yeasts like to eat it causing fermentation which can harm the hummingbirds. That is why you should keep the feeder clean and the nectar fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment