Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pumpkin pie from scratch and freezing pumpkin filling

Okay, I know it is sooooo much easier to open a can of pumpkin to make your pumpkin pie.* I was given 16 pie pumpkins! Gasp! What am I to do with so many of them? If anyone knows me at all I'm not going to let all these little pumpkins go to waste. Solution? Cook them up, scoop the pumpkin glop out of shell. Freeze the pumpkin glop for pies, muffins, bread ect. My DH has been after me for weeks about making a pumpkin pie* from total scratch, start to finish .He claims it is soooooo much tastier. Now, I'm not sure about that but, finally DH will be very happy with his pie I plan to make for Thanksgiving. I have 5 of the pumpkins cooked and 11 to go. I have enough pumpkin glop for 8 pies right now (1- 1/2 cups) makes 1 pie. Now that I've done this many so far. I realize it's really easy. It's just your time. To begin.... wash pumpkin, chop in half, scrape out all the seeds and stringy goodness. You can reserve the seeds for roasting, and even planting. My hope is to plant some next year, then I will have these beautiful pie pumpkins again. Plus, no pumpkin cost. Now, that's a deal! I then placed both pieces cut side down on a baking sheet and placed in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. You will know when it is done by sticking your fork in it. It needs to be very soft. The microwave works also. Microwave about 25-30 min. Once the pumpkin is done cooking it should fall right out of the skin. Using a spoon, scoop it all out into a large mixing bowl. Mix the pumpkin until it is smooth and creamy. Your pumpkin filling is ready to freeze or use right away.

* Pumpkin pie ( from scratch) makes 2 pies

First whip up your favorite crust ( or I guess you can use store bought) Gasp!
1- 9 inch pie pumpkin ( this will actually make enough pumpkin glop for 2 pies) or 1-1/2 cups pumpkin glop
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
18 oz or 1-1/2 cans of evaporated milk
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice ( if you do not have pumpkin pie spice, you can use allspice, ginger, ground clove)
2 tsp cinnamon
Add in all the ingredients and mix well. your final product will be very runny. Don't worry...it will thicken up in the cooking process. Put your pie crust in your pie pan, and pour in your pumpkin filling. Do not overfill..it makes a mess!
Bake for about 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Then turn it down to 350 degrees and bake for 45-60 more minutes. It will be done when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment