Friday, June 18, 2010

What to do if you lock your keys in the car

Have you ever locked your keys in the car? and you don't have a spare key? If so, what did you do? Now, chances are most of us have locked our keys in the car at one time or another. For me..ahem..it happened one day last week or so in the Meier parking lot. Yes, it was just one of those things that happened. Yesterday DH and I were at the bank and this poor young woman had done the same thing. Yep, locked those darn keys in the car. Did she have a spare key? nope! This obviously was not her first time doing this neither. I am sure she felt like I did, like an idiot! I was frustrated, embarrassed and mad at myself, and like a dummy no spare key! Now, it was just one of those things I put off because, I never thought this would happen. So, what did I do? Well, I had to call my DH from work and wait by the car until he arrived. He somehow found a piece of very thin metal at work and was able to somehow trigger the lock switch. This was kinda embarrassing since my car's anti theft system alarm blared throughout the parking lot until I could stop it! Anyways, Don't panic or flip out. There is some solutions we can all do. Well, just in case this ever happens to you.

1. Get a spare key or two made. For just a few dollars, you've got real peace of mind. This has to be the most simple solution to a relatively simple problem. After this incident I go three extra keys made at Menards.
2. Keep your spare key in a secure location. Place the other one in maybe a magnetic key case which can be hidden along a metal surface of your vehicle. Give a key to a trusted family member. I now keep an extra key in my purse, I also keep a spare key at home and gave a key to DH.
3. If you have On Star you can call the helpline. They remotely send a signal to your vehicle and unlock your door. Since DH and I drive older vehicles and this can cost about $200 a year this option is a no go for us!
4. Talk to your insurance company. If your vehicle is on warranty, you can call the roadside assistance line. They will open your car for free. Again not an option for us
.


Don't panic! There are solutions and there are preventable solutions. The biggest mistake we can make is flipping out! Have you ever locked your keys accidentally in the car?


No comments:

Post a Comment